Saturday, December 28, 2013

Chocolate Covered Bacon


Hello All!
I decided to whip up some chocolate covered bacon, and it turned out delicious.  Instead of using regular bacon, I decided to use turkey bacon.  When I told a few people I chose to do that, the looks they gave me were not the best. Let me tell you why I chose to use this instead of regular bacon.
Have you ever had the chocolate covered bacon at the fair? I have, it's one of my favorite things to get while i'm there!  But, at the fair, you always end up getting full bites of chocolate covered fat.  It's still delicious and fatty stuff is notorious at the fair--they wouldn't want it any other way!  Turkey bacon has a great marbling of fat all throughout the bacon strips.  You never get a full bite of chocolate covered fat with turkey bacon.  Its just a lot less fattier in general and I guess you could say it's "healthier" bacon is bacon, you can't really get healthy out of that.

I used some good melting chocolate and I don't think I would use anything other than that.  However, there is an alternative choice: chocolate chips (whichever you prefer, dark or milk chocolate) and then add about a tablespoon of shortening to the chocolate chips (or vegetable oil).








DIRECTIONS
You can melt the chocolate with the oil or shortening in a microwave safe bowl or over the stove.  Be careful to not scorch the chocolate, especially on the stove top you want to keep it low and constantly stir.  With the microwave you don't want to have it microwaving for more than 30 seconds at at time.  The bowl gets hot and continues to heat the chocolate while you stir after each increment of time.  Even when there are small chunks of chocolate left I was able to stir them out just by using the heat of the bowl and stirring.

Make sure that it is melted enough where when you tip the bowl it easily moves around.  If it is not thin enough it will be hard to dip the bacon.  Once the bacon cools and it gets as crispy as it can start dipping! I used tongs to place the bacon into the bowl and flip it easy.  I found the tongs were much easier to use and the chocolate was even on both sides and it was a thin coat.  Place the done pieces on foil or wax paper and wait to harden/cool.

It turned out delicious (I've made it twice now)
The first batch was much crispier I had the stove top on a little bit higher when I made the first batch of bacon.  My second time making it the stove top was a little bit lower and the bacon took longer to make but it didn't crisp up as well.  I liked them both ways and did not have a preference!

ENJOY,
Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment